Change:  Go to:
28.11.2001 @ 19:00 Somerset Park Attendance: 2710
Ayr United 5 - 1 Inverness CT
Referee: D McDonald League Cup / Quarter Final-match

None None.
Starting Lineup
None None.
Yellow cards
None None.
Red cards
None None.
Match report
Ayr completed a five day league and cup double over Caley Thistle with this convincing win. It started so well for the visitors when Ross Tokely headed them into the lead in nine minutes from a Barry Robson corner but Tokelys world fell apart a minute later. He was red carded for a retaliation incident with Pat McGinlay and it was an uphill struggle after that. The remaining 10 players put heart and soul into the match but Ayr took only two minutes to take advantage of the extra man. James Grady hit a low ball from outside the area wide of the diving Nicky Walker to equalise. Four minutes later a Paul Sheerin corner from the right was flicked on by John Hughes and John Robertson hit home for 2-1. Charlie Christie was brought down in 23 minutes but Bobby Manns 30 yard free kick was saved by Craig Nelson. Walker then saved from Gary Teale and David Moss but it was Caley Thistle who created more chances for the rest of the half. The final touch was not there and it remained 2-1 at half time. Ayr had an excellent spell at the start of the second half and it was no surprise when they extended their lead. The third goal nearly came in 50 minutes when a Teale corner came off Stuart McCaffrey and onto the bar but the pressure did pay off six minutes later. Moss set up McGinlay who dummied Walker then chipped into the net. Caley Thistle did not give up but the task was nearly impossible. In 62 minutes a Mann free kick went just past with Nelson rooted to the spot then Hughes blocked a Roy McBain shot and Nelson saved from Robson. The forward pressure left gaps at the back and these began to be exploited by Ayr. Teale intercepted a clearance in 77 minutes and the ball reached substitute Eddie Annand via Sheerin he hit it into the roof of the net to kill the game. Walker diverted a Brian McLaughlin shot onto the bar in 82 minutes before Annand scored the fifth a minute later. Before full time Annand had netted twice more but he was yards off side on one occasion four Ayr players were in offside positions as the tired Caley Thistle legs left blank spaces in defence when most of the team were searching for goals. The dream of a cup semi-final place was over and disappointed fans were left wondering what would have happened with 11 players on the park for 90 minutes.