Change:  Go to:
23.03.2003 @ 15:00 Caledonian Stadium, Inverness Attendance: 6050
Inverness CT
1 - 0
Referee: A Freeland Scottish Cup / Quarter Finals-match

Dennis Wyness (45)
Starting Lineup
Mark Brown
Ross Tokely
Grant Munro
Bobby Mann
Stuart Golabek
Stuart McCaffrey
Barry Robson
Roy McBain
Richie Hart
Dennis Wyness
Paul Ritchie
Michael Fraser
Charlie Christie
Graeme Stewart
David Bagan
Liam Keogh
Liam Keogh -> Paul Ritchie (80)
Charlie Christie -> Barry Robson (85)
Hartson -> Maloney (62)
Yellow cards
Richie Hart (60)
Red cards
None. None
Match report
This dramatic win opened up the road to Hampden and continued Caley Thistles 100% record in the Scottish Cup against Celtic. To repeat the victory of February 2000 on live Sky TV and on home turf were priceless bonuses. Celtic came in to this game on a high after beating Liverpool in the UEFA Cup but Martin ONeill made eight changes. This was a decision he would soon regret. Caley Thistle started well and in three minutes a Richie Hart shot from 25 yards flew over the bar. Two minutes later a Barry Robson shot from 16 yards under great pressure was deflected for a corner. Celtics first real effort came from an eighth minute Shaun Maloney free kick but Mark Brown held well. In eleven minutes a Hart free kick went wide off the head of Paul Ritchie. A minute later Jackie McNamara broke towards Browns goal but the keeper touched it over for a corner. In 14 minutes a Steve Guppy corner fell for Neil Lennon but he fired wide then a dangerous Jamie Smith ball from the right was sliced over the bar by Stuart Golabek. Mark Brown was having a confident match and in 22 minutes he came out to take the ball at the feet of Lennon. Brown saved the day on the half hour mark when he pushed over a Maloney free kick from just outside the box. Guppy shot over then a long ball from Hart whistled past the post. With half time looming Dennis Wyness scored the perfect goal at the perfect time. A fine pass from Grant Munro reached Hart in the inside left position he cut the ball across goal and Dennis Wyness slid in to score his 80th and most important goal for Caley Thistle. The Celtic players clearly received words of wisdom at half time and they came out in determined mood. A Maloney free kick went well over then a timely Stuart McCaffrey tackle foiled Maloney in the box. Henrik Larsson looked to be well placed to equalise in 52 minutes when he created space but his 12 yard effort was saved brilliantly by Brown. A Caley Thistle free kick 22 yards out in 55 minutes eased the pressure - Bobby Manns kick came off the wall then a Hart shot from 30 yards was blocked by Varga. John Hartsons introduction in 62 minutes restored Celtics usual strike force and he proved a major threat. Brown saved from Hartson in 64 minutes but the striker was offside. McCaffrey robbed Larsson in the box in 66 minutes then Hartson headed past. Ross Tokely made two terrific stops in 72 minutes from Smith and Larsson. At the other end a long Mann free kick was touched for a corner in 74 minutes then Broto held a Hart cross. Most of the pressure was on the home goal and Brown was again a hero in 78 minutes with a fine diving save to push away a Hartson header. To the home fans the last ten minutes seemed like an hour as Celtic pressed hard. Brown saved at Larssons feet, Smith hit over the bar, Stanislav Varga headed over, Valgaeren did the same, Varga hit high from 25 yards then it was into injury time. The three additional minutes prolonged the agony and there was real fear when Celtic were awarded a free kick just 20 yards out. To much home relief Larsson hit over the bar. Finally the whistle went and the ecstatic 4000 home fans could once again go ballistic. The semi-final draw took place straight after the game and Caley Thistle were drawn against the winners of the replay between Falkirk and Dundee. Inverness will be closed that day.