Change:  Go to:
24.09.2005 @ 15:00 Celtic Park, Glasgow Attendance: 57247
2 - 1
Inverness CT
Referee: Steve Conroy League-match

Beattie (57, 67) Dennis Wyness (51)
Starting Lineup
Mark Brown
Ross Tokely
Grant Munro
David Proctor
Darren Dods
Barry Wilson
Russell Duncan
Liam Fox
Alan Morgan
Dennis Wyness
Craig Brewster
Michael Fraser
Tom Parratt
Richie Hart
Ian Black
Rory McAllister
Craig Dargo
Chris Finnegan
Virgo -> McManus (48)
Agathe -> Nakamura (86)
Craig Dargo -> Craig Brewster (60)
Richie Hart -> Liam Fox (74)
Rory McAllister -> Barry Wilson (87)
Yellow cards
none Grant Munro (82)
Red cards
none None.
Other statistics
15 Shots 6
9 Shots on goal 3
5 Offsides 0
6 Corner kicks 3
10 Free kicks 5
0 Penalties 0
Match report
A narrow defeat, a good away run ended, a club record equalled and another created.

Ian Broadfoot reports on the match between Celtic and Caley Thistle at Celtic Park, Glasgow. Dennis Wyness equalled the all-time scoring record for the club, but his goal wasnt enough to take the points home.

With Craig Dargo injured, Dennis Wyness made his first SPL start and partnered Craig Brewster up front. Stuart Golabek pulled out during the warm-up and Alan Morgan took his place on the left side of the back four. A fine midweek display against Dundee United in the CIS Cup brought Russell Duncan back into the side and Ross Tokely returned from injury.

Celtic had Neil Lennon missing due to his much-publicised suspension but Chris Sutton returned from a two month absence due to a fractured cheekbone.

After sustained Celtic pressure Dennis Wyness gave Caley Thistle the lead and his goal equalled Iain Stewart's career total of 82. A Craig Beattie double earned Celtic the points in front of a new ICT record crowd.

Caley Thistle had been undefeated in the SPL since 15 January but continuing this superb run at Celtic Park was always going to be a massive challenge. An excellent display by the ICT defence (and Mark Brown in particular) kept them in the game for nearly an hour but, after Beattie's two goals, there was no way back.

In the early minutes Liam Fox sliced high and wide then Barry Wilson hit just over Artur Boruc's crossbar. Stephen McManus headed off-target for Celtic in nine minutes then Beattie forced a diving save from Brown. The ICT 'keeper saved a Beattie header in 21 minutes then the young striker shot right at Brown a minute later. Brown's busy spell continued as he saved headers from Chris Sutton and John Hartson.

In 37 minutes a McManus header hit the bar and, just before half time, Maloney shot wide. It was not all one-way and Wyness sent in a curling shot in 39 minutes which Boruc punched clear.

In 51 minutes Caley Thistle took an unexpected lead. David Proctor headed on a Tokely throw and Wyness nipped in to shoot low under Boruc from six yards. It could have been 2-0 seconds later when a Wyness dummy set up Brewster 16 yards out but the player/manager failed to connect.

Maloney set up an equaliser from Beattie in 57 minutes despite Brown getting a touch on his 12 yard shot. The home side had two penalty claims just after the equaliser - Sutton went down then a Nakamura cross struck Duncan's arm. On both occasions the referee waved play on. The winner came in 67 minutes when Shunsuke Nakamura set up Beattie and he ran 40 yards before steering the ball past the advancing Brown.

Celtic could have conceded a late penalty when the ball seemed to strike Adam Virgo's hand five minutes from time but the referee saw nothing wrong. A good ICT performance but, in the end,