Billy Mckay’s late goal sealed all three points as Caley staged a late comeback against Hamilton Accies at New Douglas Park.

Connor Smith’s stunning free-kick had given Accies the lead with around 15 minutes remaining but goals from Nathan Shaw and Billy Mckay saw Caley Thistle take the three points.

Head Coach Billy Dodds made three changes from the side which beat Cove Rangers as Robbie Deas, Aaron Doran and Steven Boyd came into the side for Cameron Harper, Daniel MacKay and Austin Samuels.

Caley Thistle started well and Steven Boyd produced some fine play down the right side and set up Billy Mckay on the edge of the box but his effort was parried by Ryan Fulton.

Billy Mckay had a good chance after 13 minutes as he robbed Ryan McGowan of the ball and was able to round Accies keeper Ryan Fulton but the striker could only find the side netting from his angle.

Accies began to grow into the game and had their first real chance after 26 minutes as Dan O’Reilly headed over from Reegan Miminaugh’s free-kick.

The home side went close just a couple of minutes later again as Connor Smith’s curling effort went inches past the post and behind.

Caley Thistle were close to taking the lead just before the break as Robbie Deas met Nathan Shaw’s corner in the box but the centre-back’s header was kept out by Accies keeper Ryan Fulton.

Caley Thistle started well in the second-half as just four minutes into the half as Zak Delaney’s cross found Aaron Doran in the box but his shot was kept out by Ryan Fulton.

Mark Ridgers was called into action as he kept of Benny Ashley Seal’s effort with his feet after 56 minutes.

With around twenty minutes to go, Caley Thistle went close again with good move as Billy Mckay’s low cross found Steven Boyd at the back-post but his effort hit the side netting.

Hamilton did take the lead after 71 minutes. Connor Smith’s free-kick from the edge of the box looped into the top corner and past Mark Ridgers for the opening goal of the game.

Caley Thistle responded immediately as substitute Daniel MacKay’s cross found Nathan Shaw at the back post and he stabbed the ball in after his initial effort was saved.

Dario Zanatta went close for Accies with a shot from range after 77 minutes.

With four minutes to go, Nathan Shaw saw his shot inside the box saved by Ryan Fulton after he was played through on goal by Austin Samuels.

Caley Thistle did get the winner late on through Billy Mckay. It was a great move by Caley Thistle as Sean Welsh burst through the middle and played the ball to Mckay in the box who finished well past Ryan Fulton via the post to spark wild celebrations from the Caley Thistle players, fans and staff.

The win puts Caley Thistle into third having now played a game more than their opponents around them and now the Caley Jags face Dundee this Saturday at the Caledonian Stadium.