Alex Samuel’s 80th minute strike gave Inverness Caledonian Thistle a vital three points against Arbroath at the Caledonian Stadium.

Wallace Duffy had given the Caley Jags the lead right before half-time while Leighton McIntosh equalised on the hour mark. Arbroath were put down to ten men as Ricky Little picked up a second yellow card after 76 minutes before Alex Samuel won the match with a super strike with ten minutes remaining.

Manager Duncan Ferguson named the same side which lost narrowly 1-0 to Partick Thistle last weekend while Luis Longstaff came onto the bench after returning from a knee injury.

Caley Thistle started well and had chances through Alex Samuel as the strike saw an early effort come off the crossbar while moments later he saw a close range shot saved by Max Boruc.

Max Anderson had a big chance to give Caley Thistle the lead after 22 minutes after being played through on goal by Billy Mckay but his effort was saved by Max Boruc.

Remi Savage was forced off for Caley Thistle after 45 minutes, he was inadvertently hit by Cammy Kerr’s boot in the face when both players were challenge for the ball.

There was still time in the half for a goal, Wallace Duffy gave Caley Thistle the lead right on half-time. Duffy was found in the box by Alex Samuel’s pass after a long throw by James Carragher and the right-back did well to slot the ball in and past Max Boruc.

Into the second-half, Arbroath drew level after 61 minutes through a long range strike from Leighton McIntosh with an assist from the conditions.

Danny Devine could’ve put Caley Thistle ahead after 66 minutes, as the centre-back met Cameron Harper’s corner in the box but his header was wayward.

Arbroath were reduced to ten men after 76 minutes with defender Ricky Little picking up a second yellow card after a foul on Billy Mckay. The resulting free-kick was taken by Cameron Harper and palmed clear by Max Brouc while the rebound by Luis Longstaff was over and behind.

The winning goal came after 80 minutes on the clock, Billy Mckay’s pass was flicked on by Luis Longstaff and into Alex Samuel in the box and he held off the defender well and spun his man and finished into the bottom corner.

The win puts Caley Thistle just a point behind, next weekend’s opponents, Queen’s Park in 8th. Arbroath are now 12 points behind the Caley Jags with just 12 points to play for and with the goal difference taken into account they are all but relegated from the Championship.