Caley Thistle fell to a defeat against Queen’s Park thanks to Dom Thomas’ second-half strike to give the visitors a vital three points.

With results elsewhere, Caley Thistle now sit 7th in the table but Queen’s Park moved to within one point of the Caley Jags having played one game less.

Caley Thistle had the possession in the match and the majority of the chances but they couldn’t find the back of the net in a frustrating afternoon at the Caledonian Stadium.

Manager Duncan Ferguson named an unchanged side from the 3-2 win against Raith Rovers last weekend. James Carragher missed out on the squad through injury. Luis Longstaff return to the squad while deadline day signings Sean McAllister and Aribim Pepple went straight into the squad.

Queen’s Park started well and had the first real chance of the match as Dom Thomas’ free-kick found Alex Bannon in the box but his header was wide after 13 minutes.

Five minutes later, Jeremiah Chilokoa-Mullen was into the book as Queen’s Park were awarded a free-kick around 25 yards out. Ruari Paton took the free-kick bit saw his effort easily held by Mark Ridgers.

Caley Thistle grew into the half and Alex Samuel saw his effort from inside the box go just wide after a good move from the home side with 24 minutes played.

Just before the half-hour mark, Cammy Kerr dragged an effort from range wide while two minutes later Charlie Gilmour’s deflected effort went behind for a Queen’s Park goal kick.

After 36 minutes, Max Anderson saw his shot held by Calum Ferrie after he met Alex Samuel’s pass.

With five minutes left before the break, Caley Thistle kept the pressure on. Mckay and Shaw combined well and the winger saw his effort saved by Ferrie while the rebound was worked to Gilmour but his powerful effort went just over the bar.

Right before half-time, Nathan Shaw saw his effort from around 25 yards parried by Calum Ferrie while the rebound was worked into the box and into the path of Alex Samuel but the striker’s effort was wide.

Caley Thistle started the second-half well and Cammy Kerr produced a fine cross just 2 minutes after the break but there was no takers in the box.

Queen’s Park took the lead after 50 minutes through Dom Thomas. Tomas unleashed a powerful low strike past Mark Ridgers to opening the scoring.

Caley Thistle’s almost had an equaliser two minutes later, Cammy Kerr’s free-kick found Alex Samuel in the box but the striker’s header was held by Calum Ferrie.

The home side continued to press for an equaliser, Cammy Kerr was involved once again as he cut inside down the right but his effort was parried clear by Calum Ferrie while Queen’s got the rebound behind for a corner.

Sean McAllister’s corner after 68 minutes then found Niko Ujdur in the box but the centre-back’s header was over the bar and behind.

Into the dying minutes, Caley Thistle continued to search for an equaliser. Charlie Gilmour drilled a ball into the box and Aribim Pepple was inches away from getting on the end of it.

Cameron Harper saw a free-kick in added time go over the bar new signing Aribim Pepple saw a shot from inside the box blocked late on.

Caley Thistle are in Scottish Cup action next weekend as they face Hibs at the Caledonian Stadium.