Change:  Go to:
06.04.2002 @ 15:00 Somerset Park Attendance: 1818
Ayr United 1 - 0 Inverness CT
Referee: J Underhill League-match

None None.
Starting Lineup
None None.
Yellow cards
None None.
Red cards
None None.
Match report
Two battle-weary teams trying to shake off the spectre of relegation after a season of cup exploits. Ayrs victory took them clear of the danger zone but Caley Thistle slipped to eighth and still need a couple of points to be safe. Caley Thistle put Ayr on the back foot for most of the first half and created an excellent chance in the second minute. A Barry Robson corner was headed on by Grant Munro to Bobby Mann but he could only head past. The Ayr defence dealt easily with a number of shots before Paul Sheerin whipped in a shot at the other end in 18 minutes and Ross Tokely was forced to divert it over the bar. A dangerous Robson corner was headed by John Hughes for a corner a minute later then Craig Nelson saved a Robson long shot. On the half hour mark Nicky Walker lost a John Robertson cross in the sun and James Grady sent a low header goalwards Munro headed clear amidst Ayr shouts of hand ball. Ayrs best first half chance came a minute later when Sheerin took a cross from the left and sidefooted it onto the bar. Play switched back to the other end up until half time but still there were no goals. The most dangerous effort came from Robsons 24 yard free kick in 32 minutes which went low and just past. Caley Thistle continued to press just after the interval and there was a dangerous moment when Nelson failed to hold a Charlie Christie chip but it was cleared. Eddie Annand replaced Sheerin in 62 minutes and he changed the game. He was brought down by Robson in the box in 65 minutes when there appeared to be no real danger but it was a penalty Annand took it himself and scored. This gave Ayr some confidence and they pushed for a second. In 68 minutes Pat McGinlay sent a ball into the box to well-placed Marvin Wilson but he failed to connect. Caley Thistle had a chance in 73 minutes when Duncans strong shot came off Hughes for a corner. Grady tried a lob in 75 minutes and it just cleared Walkers bar. Nelson dived to save a Martin Bavidge shot in 79 minutes then in 85 minutes Hughes hooked away a Ritchie effort from the right. With two minutes left an Ayr breakaway caught the visitors defence upfield and Wilson should have scored in the end his shot was blocked. Caley Thistle must sweat it out for at least another week.