Change:  Go to:
14.08.2001 @ 19:00 Recreation Park, Alloa Attendance: 394
Alloa Athletic 3 - 2 Inverness CT
Referee: D MacDonald Challenge Cup / 2nd Round-match

None None.
Starting Lineup
None None.
Yellow cards
None None.
Red cards
None None.
Match report
An exciting match on a very wet evening it went to extra time and ended in disappointment for Caley Thistle. Alloa started well and in 9 minutes a Gareth Evans cross squirmed past Jim Calder but nobody was there to touch it in to the net. Caley Thistle came into the match as the first half progressed but during this good spell Alloa broke away and scored in 36 minutes. A cross from the right fell for Evans just inside the box. He had time to pick his spot and hit a low ball into the corner. It dried up in the second half and the football improved. The visitors had a chance in 56 minutes when a Bobby Mann header was touched away by keeper Derek Soutar and it fell for Martin Bavidge he could only hit it past. In 73 minutes it should have been 1-1 when Barry Robson was brought down in the box but Mann hit the penalty past the post. This was a rare error from the Man of the Match. Steve Paterson sent on three substitutes with 15 minutes left and this improved matters. Caley Thistle equalised 3 minutes later when Bobby Mann and Charlie Christie set up Paul Ritchie. The striker flicked it goalwards and it trickled eventually into the net. It only took 45 seconds of extra time for Caley Thistle to take the lead. Robson crossed from the left and Dennis Wyness hammered it first time low past Soutar. The visitors were now ahead in all respects and it only seemed a matter of time before they killed off Alloa. It was not to work out that way. They were caught badly in 112 minutes when an Andy Seaton corner was headed in at the back post by the unmarked Willie Irvine for the equaliser. Alloa threw everything into attack and scored the winner just 4 minutes from time. Ian Little beat three men on the 18 yard line then turned and shot into the corner giving Jim Calder no chance. The visitors frustration flared up a minute later when Roy McBain was sent off for dissent. Mann rose above the Alloa defence to meet a Russell Duncan cross with two minutes left but he headed wide. This was the last chance and Alloa were through to the quarter final of the Challenge Cup.