Change:  Go to:
05.10.2002 @ 15:00 Caledonian Stadium, Inverness Attendance: 1803
Inverness CT 2 - 0 Ayr United
Referee: I Fyfe League-match

Paul Ritchie (19)
Dennis Wyness (76)
Starting Lineup
Mark Brown
Grant Munro
Bobby Mann
Stuart Golabek
Barry Robson
Roy McBain
Anthony Low
Russell Duncan
Richie Hart
Dennis Wyness
Paul Ritchie
Ally Ridgers
Stuart McCaffrey
Chris Miller
Graeme Stewart
Brian Gilfillan
None. McManus -> Lyle (46)
Kean -> Chaplain (75)
Nicolson -> Smyth (77)
Yellow cards
None. Lovering
Red cards
None. None
Match report
The 2-0 margin did not fully reflect Caley Thistles superiority over a surprisingly poor Ayr side. James Grady shot over the bar in only ten seconds from a good position then Eddie Annand had an 18 yard shot blocked in five minutes. Mark Campbells wide attempt a minute later ended Ayrs initial flurry and the home side began to dominate. Craig Nelson saved a Dennis Wyness header in seven minutes then in 14 minutes a Paul Ritchie low shot was deflected by a defender. The first goal came five minutes later from a corner won by Tony Low Barry Robsons inswinger from the right was met by Ritchie and his glancing header gave Nelson no chance. From the restart the home side surged forward and a Wyness double shuffle ended with a low shot inches wide. In 29 minutes Robson had a chance from the left of the box but shot weakly under pressure from two defenders. Despite all the pressure it remained 1-0 at half time. Ayr were more hungry at the start of the second half but it did not last long. Mark Brown made his first catch of the day in 51 minutes then six minutes later Nelson made an excellent diving save to stop a goalbound Wyness header. In 64 minutes a move started by Wyness ended with another Nelson save from a Robson low shot. Nelson saved again from a Wyness header in 72 minutes but the strikers ninth goal of the season was only delayed by four minutes. Low was fouled on the right and Robson sent in a dipping free kick it deflected to Wyness who hit low into the net from 15 yards. Nelson managed to get a hand to it but no more. With ten minutes left Ayr ventured upfield and Paul Sheerin sent a cross to Eddie Annand at the far post after twisting past three defenders down the left it caught Annand off balance and he could only head past. This set up a short spell of Ayr pressure but it was too little too late. The win sent Caley Thistle up to second a position not achieved since a brief visit after the first game of 2000/01.