Change:  Go to:
09.08.2003 @ 15:00 Ochilview Park, Stenhousemuir Attendance: 2596
2 - 1
Inverness CT
Referee: C Thomson League-match

McMenamin (36)
Lee (83)
Stuart McCaffrey (13)
Starting Lineup
Mark Brown
Ross Tokely
Bobby Mann
Stuart Golabek
Stuart McCaffrey
Roy McBain
Russell Duncan
Richie Hart
David Bingham
Paul Ritchie
Steven Hislop
Michael Fraser
Grant Munro
David Proctor
Charlie Christie
Darran Thomson
MacLaren -> MacKenzie (43)
Scally -> Nicholls (86)
Charlie Christie -> Paul Ritchie (66)
David Proctor -> Steven Hislop (86)
Yellow cards
None Ross Tokely (80)
Russell Duncan (80)
Steven Hislop (80)
Roy McBain (80)
Red cards
None Stuart McCaffrey (79)
Match report
A disappointing start to the league campaign at Falkirks temporary home in Stenhousemuir. Lord MacFarlane presented Falkirk with the 2002/03 Championship flag before the match and they went on to dominate most of the 90 minutes. It was Caley Thistle, however, who took the lead in 13 minutes when a curling Roy McBain corner from the right eluded the defence and Stuart McCaffrey scrambled it home. From then on the visitors were forced to defend back to their 18 yard line and to hit only on the break. The man who made all the difference was Russell Latapy whose pace and trickery were constant problems. Falkirks pressure finally paid off in 36 minutes when a low Davie Nicholls ball came in from the left and Colin McMenamin turned it into the roof of the net. Scott MacKenzie was stretchered off in 43 minutes and replaced by trialist Andy MacLaren. A poor kick out by Falkirk keeper Darren Hill just after the break gave a glimmer of hope but Steve Hislop was outnumbered before he could take advantage. Latapy shot wide in 52 minutes then two minutes later only a brilliant McCaffrey block denied Jason Lee in the box. Davie Nicholls shot low and wide in 61 minutes then a Latapy free kick curled past the post. Mark Brown tipped the ball off the head of Lee in 78 minutes but the game turned Falkirks way when goalscorer Stuart McCaffrey was inexplicably shown a straight red card. He brought down McMenamin, a free kick was given then the referee spotted the raised flag of his far side assistant. After some consultation the red card was shown. Apparently McCaffreys attempt to retrieve the ball from McMenamins illegal hold was deemed to be stamping. This conclusion was a mystery to most at the game including the Falkirk camp. Yellow cards were flourished at Caley Thistle players as frustration mounted and it was no real surprise when Lee volleyed home the winner after a Latapy cross in 83 minutes. In the closing minutes the score was only kept down by brilliant defending a Stuart Golabek tackle on Latapy who had an open goal and a Brown block from a Lee close-range shot. Things can only get better.