Change:  Go to:
29.07.2006 @ 15:00 Tulloch Caledonian Stadium Attendance: 4267
Inverness CT
1 - 2
St. Mirren
Referee: Alan Freeland League-match

Craig Dargo (48)
Stewart Kean (55)
John Sutton (75)
Starting Lineup
Mark Brown
Grant Munro
Stuart Golabek
Stuart McCaffrey
Darren Dods
Barry Wilson
Russell Duncan
Ian Black
John Rankin
Dennis Wyness
Craig Dargo
Chris Smith
Kevin McGowne
John Potter
Kirk Broadfoot
David van Zanten
Craig Molloy
Garry Brady
Hugh Murray
Simon Lappin
John Sutton
Stewart Kean
Michael Fraser
Stuart Soane
Richie Hart
Liam Keogh
Alan Morgan
Zander Sutherland
Graham Bayne
Tony Bullock (GK)
Alex Burke
Richard Brittain
Mark Corcoran
Ian Maxwell
Ryan McCay
David McKenna
Liam Keogh -> Russell Duncan (65)
Graham Bayne -> Stuart Golabek (78)
Richard Brittain -> Garry Brady (69)
Yellow cards
Craig Dargo (90)
John Sutton (56)
Red cards
None. None
Other statistics
7 Shots 10
4 Shots on goal 4
1 Offsides 1
4 Corner kicks 1
8 Free kicks 17
0 Penalties 0
Match report | Preview
Club Historian Ian Broadfoot reports from Tulloch Caledonian Stadium.

A very disappointing start to the season for Caley Thistle but SPL newcomers St Mirren were understandably delighted. Two goals from John Sutton (but with Stewart Kean still claiming the first) saw them come from behind to take the points in a match that only came to life in the second half.

With Ross Tokely sidelined Stuart McCaffrey occupied the right back spot in the home side and new signing John Rankin started in left midfield. The Saints defence was under pressure for the first 15 minutes but nothing quite came off. Barry Wilson took a quick free kick from long distance in six minutes with ‘keeper Chris Smith out of position but he struck it over the bar.

A high ball from Rankin in 15 minutes reached Dennis Wyness but he shot wide from 20 yards. Sutton almost broke through for Saints in 20 minutes but McCaffrey saved the day with a fine tackle. Wilson then cleared from David Van Zanten as he headed for goal before Craig Dargo went down 19 yards out at the other end. It was too theatrical for Alan Freeland and play was waved on.

Play was generally scrappy with few moments of interest. One of these came in 37 minutes when Wilson did well to set Dargo on track – he crossed from the right for Ian Black but the defence cleared. An angled shot from Dargo just before the break was cleared for a corner by Kirk Broadfoot but otherwise the half petered out.

The second half was much better and a minute after the restart a Russell Duncan sidefoot shot was diverted for a corner. Smith failed to hold Rankin’s flag kick and the ball broke back to him – he found Wilson but his chip went wide. The opening goal came in 48 minutes when an inch-perfect Rankin cross from the left was met by a fine Dargo header from close range.

It was now looking good for ICT but that changed in 55 minutes. A ball sent left to right just eluded Stuart Golabek and Craig Molloy had a clear shot on goal from just inside the box. Mark Brown did well to push it away but Sutton and Kean between them scored from the rebound.

An Ian Black acrobatic shot in 61 minutes was held by Smith then in 70 minutes Broadfoot headed over a Simon Lappin free kick.

Saints’ winner came out of nothing. A long bouncing clearance from Smith looked harmless as it headed towards the ICT goal but with the central defenders hesitating Sutton stepped in to touch it past Brown.

Caley Thistle fought hard to equalise after this blow but failed - Wilson hit a 20 yard shot at Smith, Wyness sent an angled ball over after a good Wilson/Dargo move then Smith held a Black chip. Into added time and Saints were content to hold the ball in the corner and count down the seconds. The final move was a Graham Bayne attempt to intercept a Smith clearance but it flew to safety.

Join in the post match discussion on the forum - Click Here