Change:  Go to:
02.05.1998 @ 15:00 Caledonian Stadium, Inverness Attendance: 1955
Inverness CT 2 - 1 Brechin City
Referee: I Elmslie League-match

None. None
Starting Lineup
None. None
Yellow cards
None. None
Red cards
None. None
Match report
A nervous afternoon for the Inverness fans but in the end Second Division survival was assured.
The football was not great and relegated Brechin put up a good fight. In 2 minutes Brian Thomson hit it over the bar from 20 yards and in 10 minutes Stuart Garden saved an Iain Stewart effort from the right edge of the area. The first goal came in 38 minutes when Vetle Andersen set up Charlie Christie in the box and he sent over a pass to the far post - Thomson was running in and he easily knocked it home. A minute later it was 2-0 - Iain Stewart chipping it over the keeper from 20 yards. Just on the 45 minute mark Garden did well to tip over a strong Paul Sheerin shot from the right wing. Brechin came back into the match in the second half and in 59 minutes they pulled one back. Roddy Black beat Cherry to the ball 30 yards out and hit a speculative low shot which caught out Jim Calder. He dived to his left but it sailed past him and into the net. This spurred Brechin on and seven minutes later it should have been 2-2. A 50/50 tussle in the Caley Thistle area involving Barry Wilson and a defender led to a penalty award to the astonishment of everybody. It was taken by Brechin keeper Stuart Garden but saved by Jim Calder. A minute later Christie and Thomson combined to set up Ross Tokely on the left but his shot was deflected for a corner by Gary Buick. Brian Thomson received a red card in 78 minutes after a verbal exchange with the far side assistant refereee. This should have given Brechin some hope but the home side held on. As the game neared the end both sides had chances. In 85 minutes good work by Stewart on the left set up Christie but he shot over from 22 yards. Two minutes later at the other end Black beat 4 men and shot low past from 18 yards. The whistle went and Caley Thistle had retained Second Division status no matter the other results. At the other end of the Division Livingston slipped up and both promotion places will be decided next week.