Change:  Go to:
15.01.1997 @ 19:30 Caledonian Stadium, Inverness Attendance: 1482
Inverness CT 0 - 0
(4 - 3 pens.)
Referee: R Orr Scottish Cup / Rd 2 (replay)-match

None. None
Starting Lineup
Jim Calder
Mike Noble
Richard Hastings
Iain MacArthur
Charlie Christie
Davie Ross
Mike Teasdale
Paul Cherry
Barry Wilson
Iain Stewart
Scott McLean
Ross Tokely
Graeme Bennett
Alan Hercher
Ross Tokely -> Davie Ross (75)
Graeme Bennett -> Iain MacArthur (110)
Duncan => Crawford (32)
Sloan => Gallacher (41)
McMillan => Young (112)
Yellow cards
None. Duncan
Red cards
None. None
Other statistics
0 Shots 0
0 Shots on goal 0
0 Offsides 0
0 Corner kicks 0
0 Free kicks 0
0 Penalties 0
Match report
The home side progressed to the third round of the cup after a night of drama. They dominated the game and should have won it in normal time but in the end it took extra time and penalties.

Stranraer keeper Duffy was in tremendous form and he foiled shot after shot. As early as the fourth minute he denied Iain Stewart twice and a minute later Stewart could not quite reach a Scott McLean pass across the open goal. The rest of the first half was a similar story of missed chances and saves - Duffy saved a Wilson drive in 31 minutes, a Christie close range shot in 36 minutes, a Stewart shot in 39 minutes and just before the whistle a Christie shot hit off Duffy and was cleared after a scramble.

In the second half Stranraer came more into it but had few clear chances. Jim Calder dealt competently with any shots on target and at the other end the home side tried hard but failed to score. In 71 minutes a Wilson cross reached Stewart but he hit over the bar and right on the 90 minute mark a similar move led to Stewart sliding the ball past the post.

Richard Hastings had several close things - a diving header went past in 72 minutes, in 82 minutes his shot was deflected past and a minute from time his 35 yard free kick was saved by Duffy.

Extra time was rather flat as tiredness began to tell but the home side continued to create chances - the shot of the match came 6 minutes into the second period when a Teasdale 20 yard rocket was tipped onto the bar by Duffy. Three minutes later Scott McLean kept the ball in on the right and crossed to Iain Stewart who chipped it over the bar. This was the last chance and the game went to penalties.

The penalty decider started well for Stranraer when Hughes scored, Cherry hit the post and McAulay made it 2-0. Stewart pulled one back for the home side then Jim Calder saved Sloans kick. McLean made it 2-2 despite Duffy getting a hand to it, McMillan made it 3-2 for Stranraer, Tokely equalised then Jim Calder saved from Duncan. Despite the pressure Barry Wilson stroked his kick into the corner to win the game for the Inverness side and ensure a third round home tie against Hamilton.