Change:  Go to:
12.02.1996 @ 19:30 Bayview Park, Methil Attendance: 1345
East Fife 1 - 1
(1 - 3 pens.)
Inverness CT
Referee: T Brown Scottish Cup / Rd 3 (replay)-match

Scott (75) Alan Hercher (90)
Starting Lineup
Jim Calder
Mike Noble
Richard Hastings
Iain MacArthur
John Scott
Graeme Bennett
Charlie Christie
Mike Teasdale
Alan Hercher
Iain Stewart
Brian Thomson
Dave McGinlay
Davie Ross
Colin Mitchell
Hutcheon => Demmin (73)
Andrew => Archibald (87)
Gartshore => Gibb (89)
Davie Ross -> Brian Thomson (80)
Colin Mitchell -> John Scott (80)
Dave McGinlay -> Mike Teasdale (84)
Yellow cards
None None.
Red cards
None None.
Other statistics
0 Shots 0
0 Shots on goal 0
0 Offsides 0
0 Corner kicks 0
0 Free kicks 0
0 Penalties 0
Match report
A tremendous victory for Caledonian Thistle but only after an injury time equaliser in normal time and the drama of penalty kicks.

The match was played at a furious pace on a wet and windy evening and several hundred Inverness fans witnessed an historic victory.

East Fife had the better of the first half as the visitors battled into the gales - the best chances for the home side fell to Mark Donaghy who hit it over the bar in 8 minutes and to player/manager Steve Archibald who did the same from 6 yards in 24 minutes.

They were also unlucky in 34 minutes when an Archibald drive from 20 yards was headed for a corner by Alan Hercher. Caley Thistles best chance fell in 18 minutes to Hercher when he headed a Thomson corner onto the bar.

The visitors came more into the game in the second half and Iain Stewart, Mike Teasdale & Charlie Christie all came close.

East Fife went ahead against the run of play in 75 minutes - substitute Hutcheon sprinted down the right wing and sent over a superb cross which Scott turned in from close range.

Caley Thistle kept battling but could not find a way past the home defence. With time running out Steve Archibald indulged in time wasting tactics which were to cost him dearly.

On 87 minutes he substituted himself and close to the final whistle he took off his best player Gibb - the only apparent reason being that he was furthest from the stand and this would waste the most time.

Three minutes into injury time Ian MacArthur took a long throw on the right for the visitors and a glancing header from Alan Hercher found the net.

Extra time produced few clear cut chances. In the first period the visitors were clearly on top but the best chance fell to East Fifes Hutcheon - Jim Calder saved at his feet 6 yards out. In the second period Caley Thistle were again the better side and chances fell to Iain Stewart and Charlie Christie. 11 minutes into the period Christie broke from midfield, passed to Hercher who slipped it to Stewart - he tried to chip Hamilton from 18 yards but the ball went agonisingly over the bar.

A minute later Christie drove the ball from 10 yards but Hamilton made a good diving save. In the dying seconds East Fife nearly snatched it but Hutcheon hit the ball over the bar from 6 yards.

Caley Thistle dominated the penalty shoot out with the home players clearly very nervous. Iain Stewart, Mike Noble and Daisy Ross all scored for the visitors while East Fifes Allan hit it over the bar, Jim Calder saved from Hope and McStay scored.

At 3-1 Colin Mitchells penalty was saved by Hamilton but the match was over when Hutcheon hit the post. A superb night for Caley Thistle and a place in the last 16 of the Cup.