Caley Thistle staged a remarkable come back, as they came from three goals down to draw 3-3 with Queen of the South at Palmerston, with goals from Jamie McCart, Tom Walsh and Sean Welsh securing a point.

Queens started well and almost had the lead after 5 minutes but Lyndon Dykes’ effort was inches wide of post as the Caley Jags suffered an early scare.

There was then a slight injury worry for the Caley Jags as Coll Donaldson required treatment but the centre back was able to continue.

Caley Thistle then got their first chance of the match as Welsh found Oakley with a clever pass but the striker’s header was wide.

Gary Harkins found Lyndon Dykes with a fantastic long range pass but the effort from Dykes hit the side netting.

Queens then broke the deadlock just after the half-hour mark, Stephen Dobbie’s cross was cut out partially by Mckay but it fell to Dykes in the box and he turned it in to open the scoring. The Caley Thistle defenders were adamant that it was handled in by Dykes but the goal stood.

Tom Walsh looked to get Caley Thistle back in it straight away as he took a shot from around 30 yards but his effort was over the crossbar.

Queens started the second-half on the front foot and doubled their lead shortly after the restart as Dykes’s ball spilt open the Caley Thistle back line and Stephen Dobbie raced clear to rounded the onrushing Mark Ridgers to score.

ICTFC boss John Robertson responded by bringing on Nathan Austin and Jordan White for George Oakley and Charlie Trafford.

Queens continued to grow in confidence and got a third just after the hour mark as Doyle was played down the wing by Dobbie, his cross feel Stirling in the box and he checked the ball back to Josh Todd who finished past Mark Ridgers.

Things were looking desperate for the Caley Jags but they kept fighting and found a way back into the match as Jamie McCart got his first for the club as he nodded in Joe Chalmers’ whipped in free-kick.

A glimmer of hope for the Caley Jags and they seized upon it as it only took them a few minutes to get another as Tom Walsh’s cross went past everyone and into the back of the net to make it 3-2 as he made it two goals in two games.


Caley Thistle then completed the comeback as Sean Welsh was brought down by Dykes and he stepped up and sent the goalkeeper the wrong way to complete a remarkable turnaround.

Roddy MacGregor replaced Aaron Doran for his first Caley Thistle start and didn’t take long to make an impact as he linked up well with Liam Polworth, who set up Nathan Austin with a chance to win the game but his effort was tipped wide.

The remarkable draw means that the Caley Jags have now gone 25 league matches undefeated! Caley Thistle now have a break from league action as they face Edinburgh City in the Scottish Cup next Sunday.

Watch the Match Highlights HERE and the reaction from John Robertson HERE  

Photos courtesy of

QOTS: Leighfield, Doyle, Fordyce, Semple, Marshall, Stirling (Norman 82′), Jacobs, Harkins (Murray 86′), Todd, Dykes, Dobbie

ICTFC: Ridgers, Mckay, McCart, Donaldson, Chalmers, Trafford (White 58′), Welsh, Polworth, Doran (MacGregor 87′), Walsh, Oakley (Austin 58′)

Attendance: 1,233

Referee: Greg Aitken