Caley Thistle fell to defeat at Somerset Park with Francis Amartey’s early goal giving Ayr United all three points.

Caley Thistle made two changes to the side which lost on the opening day against Queen’s Park. Wallace Duffy and Austin Samuels dropped out from the squad with Danny Devine and Keith Bray coming into the side from the start.

Ayr United started brightly and had the lead after just 8 minutes on the clock, Sam Ashford found Francis Amartey inside the box and he finished past Mark Ridgers to open the scoring.

Ayr United captain Sean McGinty saw his effort from range go well over after 13 minutes on the clock.

Caley Thistle grew back into the game and Cameron Harper’s low cross was missed by Billy Mckay on the edge of the box and it fell to David Carson advancing but his effort was blocked on route to goal.

Ayr had a big chance to double their lead after 19 minutes as Nick McAlister saw his header inside the box held by Mark Ridgers on the line.

After 24 minutes, Nathan Shaw saw his chance blocked in the box after meeting Billy Mckay’s pass. The follow up fell to Charlie Gilmour in the box but his low effort was held easily by Ayr keeper Charlie Albinson.

Caley Thistle were almost level through Keith Bray as he capitalised on a mistake in the backline but his effort was blocked by an Ayr defender after going through on goal half-an-hour into the game. The follow up went to David Carson and his effort was parried by Ayr keeper Albinson and an Ayr defender just beat Keith Bray to the rebound to clear behind for a corner.

Albinson was called into action two minutes later as he tipped Danny Devine’s header over the bar as the centre-back met Cameron Harper’s free-kick in the box.

Ayr had a chance of their own before the break as Ben Demspey headed wide after meeting Fraser Bryden’s cross in the box.

After 42 minutes, winger Luis Longstaff took aim from about 20 yards but his effort bounced just wide of the post.

Head Coach Billy Dodds was sent to the stand by referee Peter Stuart after Luis Longstaff was shown a yellow card with the ICT Head Coach feeling that Longstaff was fouled beforehand.

Nathan Shaw went close to equalising in the second-half, the ICT winger, who was playing in his 50th appearance for the club, met Jake Davidson’s partially cleared cross at the back-post but his shot cannoned off the post as Ayr got clear.

Aidan McGeady saw a shot bounce just wide after 76 minutes as Ayr looked to seal the game while, at the other end, Cameron Harper couldn’t direct Jake Davidson cross on target.

There was a great save late on by Caley Thistle keeper Mark Ridgers as he tipped Olly Pendlebury’s shot over the bar in the last minute of the match.

Caley Thistle now have to wait until 26th August for their next match as they will face Airdrieonians away from home in Championship action