Caley Thistle progressed to the Fifth Round of the Scottish Cup with a 4-0 win against Broomhill at the Caledonian Stadium.

Substitute Adam Brooks scored twice with Charlie Gilmour and new signing Alex Samuel also scoring.

Manager Duncan Ferguson made 5 changes from last Friday’s narrow 1-0 defeat against Dundee United with Cameron MacKay, Wallace Duffy, Niko Ujdur, Aaron Doran and Alex Samuel coming in for Mark Ridgers, Cameron Harper, Danny Devine, Nathan Shaw and Billy Mckay

Caley Thistle started well and the ball in the net after 5 minutes but the linesman’s offside flag was up. It was good play from Alex Samuel down the right and his cross found Aaron Doran just inside the box and his shot hit Wallace Duffy and the defender was in an offside position.

New signing Samuel started well and set up another chance as his cross found Duffy inside the box but the defender’s effort was narrowly wide.

Samuel had a chance of his own after the half-hour mark as he met Morgan Boyes’ deflected pass inside the box but his powerful effort was over and behind.

Broomhill keeper Luke Scullion was forced into a save before the break as he denied Max Anderson while Alex Samuel saw his effort turned behind for a corner.

Caley Thistle did break the deadlock just before the break, Max Anderson’s cross was laid off by Wallace Duffy into the path of Gilmour just outside the box and the midfielder’s effort was too powerful for Broomhill keeper Luke Scullion.

Five minutes into the second-half, Caley Thistle were awarded a penalty as Aaron Doran was taken down by Michael Miller in the box. The Broomhill captain was then shown a straight red card for the challenge.

New signing Alex Samuel stepped up to take the penalty but saw his effort saved by Luke Scullion.

But just after the hour-mark, Samuel made amends and got himself onto the scoresheet. He met James Carragher’s header, from a Luis Longstaff corner, from very close range to make it 2-0.

Substitute Adam Brooks got amongst the goals. He produced a fine finish into the bottom corner past Luke Scullion after receiving Billy Mckay’s pass just inside the box after 73 minutes.

Brooks got his second and Caley Thistle’s fourth late on. He back-heeled a Luis Longstaff whipped in free-kick with it heading in via deflection.

Caley Thistle progress to the Fifth Round of the Scottish Cup, with Fifth Round ties to take place the weekend of Saturday 10th February.