Caley Thistle earned a 1-0 win against Airdrieonians as David Wotherspoon’s first half debut strike was enough for all three points.

Manager Duncan Ferguson made it 7 points out of 9 since taking charge of the club and the win helped make up ground of the teams above Caley Thistle, who currently sit 9th in the Championship table.

It had a been a big gap between games for the Caley Jags with them returning to action for the first time since the 0-0 draw with Partick Thistle on 7th October.

For the match, Duncan Ferguson made two changes to the squad. Danny Devine returned to replace Morgan Boyes, who was still recovering from an eye infection but made the bench. While new signing David Wotherspoon came in for his official debut replacing the injured Aaron Doran (hamstring).

The game proved to be a tight affair with chances few and far between for either side.

After 7 minutes, former Caley Thistle man Nikolay Todorov blasted a shot over the bar and behind after meeting Megwa’s low cross in the box.

Caley Thistle had a big chance after 32 minutes, Nathan Shaw saw his low shot saved by Joshua Rae while the rebound fell to David Wotherspoon in the box but he put his effort well over the bar.

The opening goal came just five minutes later, Shaw turned provider as he did fantastic down the right side and found Wotherspoon in the box, who control the ball well and saw his shot go into the bottom corner past Joshua Rae.

In the second-half, Caley Thistle had a penalty appeal waved away as it appeared Charlie Gilmour was taken down in the box after linking up well with Billy Mckay. The rebound fell to Nathan Shaw but his effort was turned behind for a corner by Joshua Rae.

Ridgers was called into action late on as he held a Callum Fordyce header from inside the box after 81 minutes.

Airdrie pilled the pressure on late on and it was some great blocks by Niko Ujdur in the box which kept Caley Thistle ahead. The centre-back firstly threw himself in front of a Adam Frizzell shot and shortly afterwards he blocked an effort from Nikolay Todorov in the box.

Caley Thistle held on for a valuable three points and at the full time whistle Manager Duncan Ferguson showed his delighted with his celebrations.