A double from Morgan Boyes and a goal from Billy Mckay helped Caley Thistle to a 3-1 win at Somerset Park.

The win sees Caley Thistle leapfrog Ayr United in the table and up into 7th position.

Caley Thistle started well but it was Ayr United who had the opening chance of the match as Mark Ridgers had to be alert to tip Logan Chalmers’ effort over and behind.

Caley Thistle did the break the deadlock after 30 minutes on the clock. Ayr United goalkeeper Charlie Albinson took a heavy touch and was closed down by Max Anderson with the ball falling to Billy Mckay free inside the box and he wad on hand to fire the ball into an empty net.

Ayr United looked for an instant response, Mark Ridgers pulled off a great save to tip over Logan Chalmers’ shot after the winger went on a good run.

Caley Thistle looked for a second goal and Nathan Shaw saw his effort from inside the box saved by Charlie Albinson.

Ay United started the second-half well and had the ball in the net through Anton Dowds but the offside flag was up.

Caley Thistle doubled their lead after 55 minutes on the clock as Morgan Boyes got his first goal for the club. Caley Thistle produced a fine move which resulted in a great ball from Cameron Harper finding Morgan Boyes free in the box and he headed past Ayr keeper Charlie Albinson.

Boyes then had his second and Caley Thistle’s third after 63 minutes on the clock. The centre-back met Cameron Harper’s corner in the box and headed in and despite Ayr’s effort to clear off the line, the goal was given.

Ayr United hit back instantly through former Caley Jag Logan Chalmers. The winger produced a fine finish past Mark Ridgers from a tight angle to pull one back.

Goalkeeper Mark Ridgers produced some fine saves late on to keep Caley Thistle ahead. Anton Dowds met Jamie Murphy’s cut back in the box but Ridgers denied the striker from close range.

Cameron Harper was close to adding a fourth for Caley Thistle late on as he met Max Anderson’s cut-back on the edge of the box but his effort cannoned off the crossbar.

Ayr United went close again as substitute Francis Amartey’s shot was tipped onto the bar by goalkeeper Mark Ridgers.

Up next for Caley Thistle is Dundee United at the Caledonian Stadium on Friday 12th January, with the match live on BBC Scotland.