Caley Thistle exited the SPFL Trust Trophy at the Third Round, losing 4-2 to Arbroath at Gayfield Park.

Goals from David Gold and Thomas O’Brien put Arbroath two goals up while Adam Brooks pulled one back right before half-time to make it 2-1 at the break.

Caley Thistle were reduced to ten men mid-way through the second-half, as substitute Harry Lodovica was shown a straight red card for a late challenge on Michael McKenna.

Scott Stewart and Aaron Steele added for Arbroath after the red card while Lewis Hyde grabbed a consolation goal late on.  

Head Coach Billy Dodds made 8 changes to the side which drew with Dunfermline Athletic last weekend, with only Wallace Duffy, Morgan Boyes and Adam Brooks remaining from last week’s team.

After a tight opening 15 minutes, Cameron MacKay was forced into a save from Kenan Dunnwald-Turan as the striker received the ball on the edge of the box and shot after Arbroath capitalised on a mistake at the back.

The hosts had the lead after 35 minutes, David Gold opened the scoring. Jermaine Hylton got the ball into box after a mistake in the ICT backline and David Gold was on hand to fire the ball past Cameron MacKay for the opening goal.

Cameron MacKay was forced into a save two minutes later as he produced a fine stop to deny Dunnwald-Turan’s header from inside the box.

After 41 minutes the hosts did double their lead, Michael McKenna’s corner was whipped into the box and after a scramble Thomas O’Brien was on hand to put the ball past Cameron MacKay to make it 2-0.

Caley Thistle responded instantly and got a goal back through Adam Brooks. Luis Longstaff did well down the right side and his cross was cleared into the path of Brooks in the box and he drilled the ball into the net for his first Caley Thistle goal.

Head Coach Billy Dodds was forced into a change just before the break as Wallace Duffy was forced off with a knock and replaced by Cameron Harper. Also, at half-time, Charlie Gilmour replaced Austin Samuels.

Adam Brooks had a chance to make it 2-2 after 55 minutes as he met Aaron Doran’s ball through on goal, but his effort was tame and held by Ali Adams.

Aaron Doran was inches away from making it 2-2 after 59 minutes, the winger met Luis Longstaff’s cross in the box free, but his shot came off the crossbar.

Caley Thistle were reduced to ten men after 63 minutes. Substitute Harry Lodovica had only been on the pitch for a matter of minutes before he was shown a straight red card for a late challenge on Michael McKenna.

Arbroath made it 3-1 with twenty minutes to go through Scott Stewart. The ball landed to Stewart just outside the box and he produced a powerful strike past Cameron MacKay to make it 3-1.

Arbroath added a fourth late on through Aaron Steele, the defender found his way onto the end of McKenna’s whipped in free-kick to the box and he finished with a close range strike to make it 4-1.

It could’ve been five for Arbroath moments later as Craig Slater saw an effort come off the post.

Lewis Hyde pulled one back late on for Caley Thistle as he met Cameron Harper’s free-kick in the box and headed past Ali Adams from close range.

Caley Thistle now turn their attention back to league business as they face Raith Rovers away from home next Saturday.